I have been overwhelmed by the generosity of constituents in West Berkshire who have written to me with offers of accommodation for Ukrainians fleeing the conflict.
I am delighted to announce that the Scheme was announced today (14 March) and will be up and running from Friday. The link is already live and you can register your offer here: https://homesforukraine.campaign.gov.uk/
Here are the key points and I will be publishing more information as I have it:
- It is open to any Ukrainian who was ordinarily resident in Ukraine as of 1 January 2022.
- They do not need to have a family link or any other link with the UK. They do require sponsorship (and further details will be coming through to match Ukrainians with British families).
- There is no limit on the numbers who can enter the UK under this scheme.
- Once here, they have leave to remain for up to 3 years.
- During that time they have the right to work, receive benefits, healthcare and education for any children.
- The sponsor only has to provide accommodation. Suitability will be assessed in advance and there will be various safeguarding processes that any sponsor will have to meet.
- The sponsor must commit to a minimum offer of 6 months accommodation.
- The sponsor will be entitled to £350 from the Government which is tax free and will not affect entitlement to any other benefits or tax breaks.
- The sponsor does not have to be a British citizen themselves. But they do have to have at least 6 months Leave to Remain on their current visa.
I reiterate that I will be posting more information as I have it but, in the meantime, would urge any interested household to sign up.